The Army Truck

The Army Truck

Thursday, August 29, 2013

All that and a side of Rice . . .


It's that time of year again. I've been doing this long enough and I'm bad enough at it that I can't even remember what I say from year to year. Hopefully the schtick isn't getting too tiresome. And if it is you can always just delete it, or automatically route me to your junk mail. Just don't tell me about it. I've put on a few pounds just here lately and I've been feeling a little self conscious. I've not been sleeping well worrying about whether or not Johnny has enough dough for new rims. It's a lot to have on your mind. A rejection on my writing, when I'm so close to the Pulitzer, might be more than I'm ready for.

This is the first time I can ever remember where we have a legitimate shot at a national championship. There are tough teams in the way, but I really think it could happen. I'm not saying it's likely by any stretch, but it's possible. If we beat Alabama on September 14ththe path looks a lot less daunting after that. Now, that's a big if. Alabama doesn't appear to have lost much from last year and I understand their singular focus this year is stopping Johnny Football.

But, none of that really matters at the moment. What matters now is that the NCAA has cleared Johnny Football to play this season after he serves a half game suspension for inadvertantly enabling an autograph broker to make money off his likeness or image. Go Johnny. Go Johnny' lawyers. Go figure?

Believe it or not, there are TWO football games we have to play before the rematch of the year takes place on September 14th. We have to get by Rice this weekend (12:00 PM - Kyle Field) and Sam Houston State next weekend. You can laugh off the Rice game, but don't forget we'll be missing three defensive starters for the game and JFF for half the game. I'm not suggesting that we'll lose. I mean the spread is -26.5. Vegas thinks we'll run away with it. But it might take a little more effort than some folks believe.

By the way, are you coming to the tailgate? We're hauling all that junk down there tomorrow. We're going to get set up early and be ready for folks by the thousands, ok hundreds, maybe dozens, hell I don't know, I can think of two people for sure. Figure on snacky stuff before the noon game and burgers and hot dogs after. And french fries. Lots of french fries.

I don't often ask for help, but if you've ever wanted ways to help out in addition to your continuing financial generosity (cough, cough...), we're kind of screwed on chairs. We've broken and thrown away more chairs than I can count and we're running out. Absolutely no one should feel obligated to do anything, but if you wanted to pick up one or two of those folding A&M chairs to help re-stock the supply (they only last for so long), that would be very helpful. If not, no worries. Tim and I worked out a deal where the pretty girls with no chairs could sit in my lap and the rest can sit in Tim's lap. And if that doesn't light your fire, you may consider the chair thing. And just to be clear, we'll view these chairs as very generous donations to the tailgate and you'll be appreciated forever, probably.

Other than that the only thing I'd like to say is how much I appreciate everyone who bothers to come hang out with us and bothers to read these emails. I know that I'm not JK Rowling and I'm certainly not Chef Emeril. We sincerely hope that everyone has fun with all of this Aggie Football stuff and, to the extent that we're able to help make that happen, we're just pleased to be part of it.

I promise to be back to my sarcastic humor failings next week, or maybe the week after that, maybe. I just can't shake the feeling that JFF is going to give me something else to lose sleep over.

Gig 'em and Beat the Hell Outta Rice, and that Rovell character that threw JFF under the bus! Seriously, if you see him, punch him in the nads for me.

- Chuck '96

1 comment:

  1. So ready for some football! BTHO Rice!! I didn't know about your blog, but I'll be a regular reader now and will browse the archives to catch up. We'll be there for the SMU game and will bring a chair or two. Thanks for all the fun and food.

    Gig 'Em,
    Amanda Bindel, '95
    (Tim's favorite SIL)

    ReplyDelete