The Army Truck

The Army Truck

Friday, October 5, 2012

I'll miss Ole Miss - But it'll all be ok, I guess

There’s no Dixie Chicken in Fort Worth. So I stopped at a Fort Worth original with similar characteristics, Fred’s Texas, to write this. When you drink a beer at Fred’s there’s two things you can almost always count on finding at the bottom of the bottle, backwash and inspiration. Problem is that after a few beers it can be tough to distinguish between the two. Here’s hoping…
Coming off a complete dismantling of Arkansas the Ags are probably riding pretty high. It was an old fashioned woodshed beating and that little piggy went “wee, wee, wee” all the way home. I’d feel bad for them, but I don’t recall any such sympathy from those guys last year when our promising season went down the toilet like a doobie during a drug bust (for the record I do not now, nor have I ever smoked weed, although ten million pot heads probably aren’t completely wrong). Anyway, our defense kept their offense out of the endzone for the last three quarters (in spite of giving up a lot of yards). The offense dazzled as 10 different receivers caught passes and we racked up over 700 yards of offense on way to a 58-10 drubbing of the Fayetteville swine posse. A little rain came and went. No biggie. It was not enough to dampen the party or the game. Johnny Effin’ Football just added to his legendary status, a mere four games into his pre-professional career. He literally ran circles around the defense. What can you say? Johnny be good!
This week the boys travel to Oxford, MS to take on Ole Miss. Ole Miss has a storied past and a checkered present. Home to Archie Manning, Eli Manning and that dude from the Blind Side (you know the one where Sandra Bullock goes all hot southern badass from Memphis and whips some racist country club ass). She’s on top of my list of people who would be perfect if they were just a little more like my wife. Anyway, Ole Miss put up a better fight against ‘Bama last week than they had against t.u. the week before. At risk of sounding like Lou Holtz, I don’t think we should overlook the Rebels. They’ve got a heck of a QB and they’re playing at home. We’ll have to have our game faces on to not suffer a let-down. Let’s hope KDS (Kevin “Damn” Sumlin, a reference to the SEC media days when he said “damn” no fewer than 17 times in his inaugural press conference) has his team focused for a tougher than projected match up with the quickly improving Rebels.
There’s probably a lot of funny stuff to be said about the Rebs, but I’m in a bar and don’t have good internet access to look it up. Here’s what I know. Those folks know how to party. I wish I was there. They have cocktails, table clothes, chandeliers, silverware and servants. We don’t have anything like that. We have beer and French fries. I bet they have chamber music and debutantes. We have Merle Haggard and Daisy Dukes.
Well.
I do like Merle Haggard.
The game is at 6:00 PM . That gives you enough time to handle all that family stuff your wife, or husband I guess, wants you to do, then go to Wal-Mart to buy her (or him I guess) a romance novel and the kids a new cartoon DVD, lock them out of your man (or women I guess) cave, and watch this ever so important game with your buddies. Hopefully it all works for you. I will be in the comfort of my own home watching the game and planning the tailgate for the LSU game that is a mere two weeks away. So crack open a beer, hold your pinky in the air in honor of our new southern friends, and get ready for our first SEC road game.
Gig ‘em and Beat the Hell Outta Ole Miss!
Chuck ‘96

No comments:

Post a Comment