The Army Truck

The Army Truck

Friday, October 21, 2011

Did you ever break up with someone and they just didn't get it?

US: "Hey, I think we'd both be happier apart. This just isn't working."
THEM: "No, you can't leave. I'll die. My economy will be ruined."
US: "You'll be fine. You'll find someone new. We can still see each other socially."
THEM: "I can change. I really can. It'll be different this time."
US: "Let's not dwell on the past. This is better for both of us."
THEM: "I'll sue. I can't live without you."
US: "Whatever."
THEM: "I found someone new. I never needed you anyway."
US: "OK. Bye."
THEM: "You'll rue the day you left me."
US: "OK. Bye."
THEM: "Did you see my new boyfriend? Jeaolous, aren't you?"
US: "I'm happy for you. Bye."

THEM: "I'll never speak to you again. I don't need you. I never loved you anyway."

US: "OK. Bye."

This thing never seems to end. Some Big 12 schools are boycotting A&M for out of conference games going forward in all sports. I'm not sure how long this hissy fit will last, but it seems like it would need to end at some point. You can't tell me that tech would rather sell 15,000 discounted tickets to play SFA than 55,000 full price tickets for a game against the Ags. But maybe so.

So this week, Kim Mulkey, Baylor's women's basketball coach, came out and announced that Baylor would never, ever play A&M in women's basketball again. Her comment was something like this. "If a man divorces me, fine. But if he comes back later and wants to have sex, the answer is 'no'."

First of all, and I want to be REALLY clear on this, no human, male, female or otherwise, is trying to have sex with Kim Mulkey. She looks like a gaunt, angry skeleton. There's not eneough tequila in all of Mexico. Second, surely she's not operating under the illusion that any of this had anything to do with A) Baylor or B) a sport other than Football. But maybe so.

I really like Gary Blair. He was asked to comment on Kim Mulkey's statement and he could have just held up his national championship trophy and said "neener, neener, neener..." Instead he took the high road and said. "We'll play anybody in the Big 12 who wants to play us as long as it's going to better our RPI schedule and if I'm taking recruits back into that area." and "A lot of it, not playing could be said it's going to be for recruiting. Okay. Throw all that other hogwash out the window. It's for recruiting. But there are about -- correct me if I'm wrong, Peter -- 12 other Division I schools in the state of Texas, and I think a lot of them will be glad to play Texas A&M."

This is not going to be a clean, friendly divorce. It's getting mean and nasty. But, in case you didn't know it, we've been dominating the state in almost all sports for a little while. t.u. hasn't beaten our women's basketball team since 2007. Tech hasn't beaten an A&M team in any sport since 2009. We've got a winning streak in football on every team in Texas. Winning cures everything and as long as we keep winning everything will be fine.

Speaking of continuing to win, we're going up to Ames, Iowa for a little football contest Saturday. I've always liked Iowa State. They seem like nice people. They've been ok from time to time, but have generally been the whipping boy of the conference. This year is no exception, although they are not to be overlooked. I expect the good guys to go up there and win convincingly, hopefully letting some key players get some rest. The game is at 2:30PM on ABC's regional broadcast.

Just a quick couple of thoughts on the Baylor game. The game was closer than the four touchdown lead indicated. Baylor has a very good offense that, unfortunately for them, turned the ball over once on downs on the goal line and missed a short field goal. Our defense came up with some really good stops when it had to. Most years you can dismiss the Baylor win as insignificant just because it's the same thing that has happened in 23 of the last 25 meetings, but this was a good win and a really fun game to watch. Robert Griffin III was simply amazing. By all accounts he's a good kid and one heck of an athlete. The Aggie offense was unstoppable though, and scored on nine straight possessions. It was more than Baylor could overcome. At the end of the day, RGIII or not, they're still Baylor.

Wear maroon. Lots of maroon. People need to see that we're out there and damn proud to be Aggies.

Gig 'em and Beat the Hell Outta Iowa State!
-Chuck '96

No comments:

Post a Comment