The Army Truck

The Army Truck

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Idaho 2011


I want to talk about the upcoming game against the University of Idaho, but I'm having trouble getting past the soap opera that has become the collapse of the Big 12. I'm going to do my best. Please forgive me when it all goes awry.
Here's what I can tell you about Idaho:
They are called "The Vandals" and they play in an indoor stadium called the Kibbie Dome. The Kibbie Dome looks like a converted airplane hanger and it holds about 16,000 people (smallest in D-1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbie_Dome .
Average attendance is 8,000 - 10,000. They play in the WAC (Fresno St., Hawaii, La. Tech, Nevada, New Mexico St., San Jose St., Utah St.)

That's pretty much all I know. I heard the Tank (coach Sherman) speak very highly of the coaching staff and several veteran players. I heard the same from some of the players at the weekly presser. What that really tells you is the the Tank has done a great job of either 1. putting the right future politicians (err... liars) in front of the microphone or 2. actually keeping this team focused in spite of the circus atmosphere they're living in. Either way I'm impressed.

I kind of like that they're the "Vandals". The name is the result of being dubbed such in a 1917 student newspaper article and it stuck. Apparently the basketball team played such ferocious defense that they "vandalized" opposing teams. To get a name like that today you'd have to get it through the committee. I'm not sure what committee, but you can bet your potato loving butt there would be a committee. The committee would probably suggest a name like "the Sandals" because it sounds like "Vandals" but everyone loves sandals or "the Rascals" which is just like a vandal but much less so.

So, welcome to Texas you lovable Idahoans. They're really called that. I checked. I can't think of anything better. Seems like there's probably a good (or bad) joke in there somewhere.

I wasn't in Vegas this week to check the line on the game. I heard the spread was A&M minus eleventy billion. Not sure though.

Speaking of eleventy billion. That's the latest economic impact estimate being floated by the Baylor people as a result of A&M leaving the Big 12. Ken Starr, Baylor's president and former blue dress investigator, went to Washington D.C. this week. I'm not sure what will come of it, but if Congress can't help him I understand he's prepared to appeal to a higher authority, Oprah.

In all seriousness though, Ken Starr sucks. This is a little beyond pathetic. It's like when someone refuses to sign divorce papers, because, you know, that almost always (i.e. never) works out. There are tons of Ags looking for ways to punish Baylor with boycotts, smear campaigns, refusing to play, etc. I'm not sure what we could possibly do to them that would be more humiliating than what they're doing to themselves. I mean, at the end of they day, they're still "Scrubby little Baylor" (per Jim Rome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-VinD6jEc ).

Maybe the most interesting thing that's happened here lately is that t.u. might be headed to the ACC. The ACC? Really? Well, they really want to keep this Longhorn Network and none of the big conferences will allow it. So, t.u. may wind up playing in a conference where Florida State is the closest team (868 miles). Those trips are going to be fun.

How ironic would it be if t.u. winds up in a much worse position athletically because of this ESPN TV deal? I imagine a shriveled, bug-eyed, Deloss Dodds on an empty TV broadcast set clutching his ESPN contract in his bony little fingers muttering to himself something about "my precious, my precious". I can't remember if this is what it looked like right before Enron skidded off into a ditch. Seems like it.
Too big to fail. Ha. It's funny when you talk to sips about the whole thing that one of their honest answers about why this will work out for them is "we're Texas". They really believe that being the University of Texas at Austin is a virtue in and of itself, that if Mankind won't give them a fair shake certainly God will (or "fate" for the godless hippie atheists in Austin). They're oblivious to the fact that 12 schools have won more national championships in football than they have and that outside of the state they are viewed as being very much like lots of other "football" schools.
Anyway, that's my rant for today, I guess. I'm pretty excited about the tailgate this weekend. I think the weather is going to be decent. Game time is 6:00 PM. It's only available on TV via pay per view, so you better some on out. We'll be grilling this weekend. Burgers, dogs, chicken, sausage and whatever else shows up. Tons of food for everyone. You got something you want cooked? You bring it, I'll burn it.
Next Weekend is the OSU game. Two top-ten teams on national television. All indications are that this game will be wheels off. I wanted to reach out to everyone now to make sure you can come on down.

Gig 'em and Beat the Hell Outta Idaho!

Chuck '96

No comments:

Post a Comment